Friday, August 30, 2013

Beer Review: Fremont Brewing Company - SBW #5 Pacific NW Barleywine


Style: American Barleywine
ABV: 9.5%

Fun Fact About the Brewery:


Might as well just rename this blog ERIC REVIEWS AWESOME FREMONT BEERS, but what can I say? Fremont is my favorite Seattle brewery. On a related note, I just got married to my lovely lady Cassie 2 weeks ago over in West Seattle, and I rented 5 1/6 barrel kegs for the reception. The beer was a huge hit, a combo of the Summer Ale, Interurban IPA, and Universale Pale Ale. And the folks at the brewery were super easy to work with and even gave me 2 free tulip glasses. Anyways, onto the beer!

Thoughts: 
Y'all know I love me some barleywine and this is one of Fremont's first stabs at the style. They brewed a limted amount specially for Seattle Beer Week 5 back in May, but I surprisingly found a bottle of it at Bottleworks a couple weeks ago. It's lighter in color than most barleywines, a nice copper color. Toasty malt and caramel flavors are balanced with quite of bit of hops, but it had almost no head at all. It has just a bit of sweetness, but not overwhelming at all. It cracks me up that they call this a "session" barleywine since it's 9.5% and most barleywines are over 10%, but it is kinda nice to sip on one that won't totally knock you on your ass. If someone had never had a barleywine before, this would be one to try since it's not super sweet, has some hoppiness, and isn't super boozy. But it's pretty scarce at this point so we'll have to wait til next year to see if they brew something like it again.

Rating: 4.25/5

No comments:

Post a Comment