Thursday, August 16, 2012

Beer Review: Boneyard Brewing Co. RPM IPA

Style: India Pale Ale
ABV: 7.5%

Fun Fact About the Brewery: 
Boneyard was founded in Bend, Oregon, by some hesher lookin' dudes with a penchant for caps lock and angelfire-lookin' web sites. Fortunately, their beer is of much higher quality than their web site and graphic design skills.

Thoughts: 

Sweet Jesus, I hope these guys left some hops for the rest of the world to use. This is one powerful IPA. I heard lots of hype on this one, so I tried it at Malt n' Vine over in Redmond last weekend. Now, as I've stated, I'm not an IPA superfan, especially when it comes to just regular single IPAs. But, this one is exemplary for the style and it honestly gives Pliney The Elder, which is an imperial, a run for it's money. The aroma is packed full of pine, grapefruit, orange and of course, an utter shitload of hops. Once you get past the hop overload, the aftertaste is amazingly herby (yes, kind of like this) and the citrus flavors finish it off. I would have expected the overwhelming hoppiness to turn me off of this beer, but piney aroma just had me going back for more slow sips. Tons of complexity in this IPA. If anything, the ABV might be a bit too high for a single IPA, but I don't think these guys do subtlety. If Boneyard ever starts bottling, they could get huge very quickly.

Rating: 4.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment