Thursday, August 2, 2012

Beer Review: Boundary Bay Brewing Co. IPA

Feelin' the good island vibes in this photo, brah
Style: India Pale Ale
ABV: 6.4%

Fun Fact About the Brewery:

Hmm, what's another fun fact about Boundary Bay that I haven't covered yet? Well, their shirts and sweatshirts are insanely popular. I swear you can go anywhere on the planet and within a few days of being somewhere you'll see someone wearing one. Also, wearing a BB sweatshirt in Bellingham, especially in combination with some sort of cargo short and perhaps sandals, is basically a really easy way of telling the world that you just wanna have a good time, man. Jah feel me?

Thoughts: 

Okay, this is a standard IPA I can get behind. It actually has a lot of balance and doesn't just overwhelm with hoppy bitterness. That seems to be due to the caramel malt they use. It's quite floral and has bit of citrus flavor to it, too.  But it definitely finishes with a good hoppy bite. It's on the stronger side for a standard IPA, which can be good or bad depending how your evening is going. I have distinct memories of foolishly trying to finish one of these at the end of a night out in Bellingham. I don't recommend that, as it's a deceptively big beer in flavor and overall punch. But I do recommend this IPA even as a guy who isn't big on IPAs. So there you go.

Rating: 3.75/5

No comments:

Post a Comment