Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Beer Review: Chuckanut Brewery Pilsner



Style: German Pilsner
ABV: 5%

Fun Fact About the Brewery:

When Chuckanut Brewing started a few years ago, I was like, "Psssh, yeah right!" (makes wanking motion with hand). In my heart and mind, there could be only one awesome brewery from Bellingham, like Highlander, and that brewery was Boundary effin' Bay. But Chuckanut kept building a good reputation and all the bars I like have continued pouring their stuff, so I decided to finally give them a chance.

Thoughts: 

I had the Pilsner on tap at Collins on a hot day and it was pleasantly refreshing. The pilsner, a style that's been fucked up beyond all recognition by American macro breweries, has been making a steady comeback through small craft breweries. I love the microbrewery take on most German styles and this is no exception. It has a nice grainy and floral aroma with a surprisingly zesty bite to the overall flavor. It makes for a crisp finish. With the low ABV, it's a great hot weather beer. So my skepticism on Chuckanut's brews seems to be unfounded and I will definitely try more of their stuff when I see it.

Rating: 3.75/5

No comments:

Post a Comment