Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Beer Review: Boundary Bay Brewing Co. Mai Bock

Lots of good vibes in this photo
Style: Mai Bock
ABV: Unknown, but I would guess 7 or 8%

Fun Fact About the Brewery:  

Oh, Boundary Bay, how I love you. As stated in this post, I went college in Bellingham and I suppose Boundary Bay was more or less my formal introduction to good, craft beer. Soooo, thanks college? I guess? Anyways, it's named after a bay just north of Bellingham where bootleggers used to run booze via boats between the US and Canadian border during prohibition, says Wikipedia. I actually did not know that until just now. Man, prohibition was hilarious.

Thoughts: 

I haven't really had many mai bocks before. Well, that's what I thought before I found out Rogue Dead Guy Ale is actually a mai bock. That stuff is great! But, wow, that name is misleading. Anyways, a mai bock is a light colored and nicely hopped German style lager traditionally enjoyed in the springtime. I filled up a growler of Boundary's mai bock on a recent trip up to Birch Bay and it was some really nice sunny weather beer. It was a bit on a sweet side, almost too much. Tasted like there a bit of honey flavor in there, which helped balance out the fairly strong ABV (which the internet simply cannot fill me in on exactly, dang it!). Apparently this is pretty much gone for the year now, since it was their spring seasonal, but I'll keep an eye out for it next year.

Rating: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment