Friday, July 27, 2012

Beer Review: Silver City Brewery Fat Scotch Ale


Beer Our Sonics would be a much more eye catching slogan, really.

Style: Scotch ale
ABV: 9%

Fun Fact About the Brewery: Founded in Silverdale, WA, in 1996, Silver City has won over 60 awards in various beer competitions according to their web site. They got too big for their britches and moved the operation to Bremerton in 2010. Right now, their beers are only available in 22 oz. bombers and on draft.

Thoughts: I've been meaning to try more Silver City brews, but I always get this one when I see it because it's really good and I love me some Scotch style ales (also known as "wee heavy" ales, nerds).  This is the only other Scotch ale I've had that gives Boundary Bay's Scotch ale a run for it's money. This is almost a whole 3% stronger, though.  It definitely has a strong, boozy smell, but it's surprisingly smooth. Has some hints of fruit to its flavor, as well. Big fan of this beer and I look forward to trying more of Silver City's offerings.

Rating: 4.25

No comments:

Post a Comment