Monday, July 23, 2012

Beer Review: Firestone Walker Wookey Jack

Brewed fresh daily on Kashyyyk (this is the only Star Wars joke in this post, I swear)
Style: Rye Black IPA
ABV: 8.5%

Fun Fact About The Brewery:

Founded in 1996 by a couple of dudes with wine making backgrounds down on the central California coast, Firestone Walker specializes in using oak barrel fermentation and barrel aging for many of their beers, which makes for fantastic beer. Their web site is on some super serious, sepia-toned photos and pro gear/pro attitude shit. Apparently they win awards and shit, too. You know, one thing I like about craft beer culture is that it's really laid back. FW's web site gives off a real snooty winery kind of vibe. Like I bet if I showed up to their brewery wearing shorts, they'd give me a dirty look. Come on guys, I'm just trying to stay cool.

Thoughts:

I had this on draft at the Pine Box on Capitol Hill, where this mind blowing Andy Sidaris movie poster was hanging in the mens room. Anyways, I'm pretty sure this is the first rye black IPA I've tried. Bit of a rare bird. Tasted like a porter or a stout, but with IPA hoppiness. Pretty overpowering flavor wise, but in a good way. Just kinda sizzles on your taste buds the way good black IPAs should, but even more so because of the rye. Very strong, too. Would drink again.

Rating: 4.25/5

No comments:

Post a Comment